Child Custody For Military Families: Understanding The “Family Care Plan”

If either you or the parent of your child is a member of the US military, the child custody process looks a little different than it is for civilians. You’ll need a child custody attorney in Denton to help smooth the process, and the Rachel Hewett Firm can help you navigate the precarious steps. Military divorces and child custody agreements involve many of the same things as those for civilians, Texas Family Code will apply, but you’ll also have the specific requirements of the military, too. Child custody can already be stressful and frustrating, so having the help of a firm with more than 20 years of experience will take off much of the added pressure knowing we can handle the situation with you.

There’s More Considerations For A Military Family

Like most things in the military experience, some bureaucracy and paperwork is to be expected. You’ll have additional forms to fill and return to reporting officers and you’ll also have situations like deployments and cross-country moves that have to be accounted for in your plans for your children. Even though this can feel complex, our attorneys can help smooth out the process. The first step in your divorce will be making a parenting plan that we can also use to create your “Family Care Plan” with the military.

Planning For Deployments And Moves

Military members often don’t know where they will live and for how long, so it’s important to lay out alternate plans for assignment changes and deployments. You might be in Texas for a year and moved to a base out of the country. We can help you plan for visitation times when the kids are near the base, for example, as well as times you are far away, and want grandparents or other family members involved. We will also cover details like how you will communicate with your spouse about the kids when these changes happen.

Custody Details

Most military families agree to have the civilian parent care for the kids while the military parent is away. But if the military parent has sole custody, sometimes the judge will allow a close relative or a new spouse to have custody or be the legal guardian while they are gone.

The “Family Care Plan”

The military requires a “Family Care Plan” for children under the age of 19 when you’re a member of the military and sole guardian, if you are a military member with joint custody, or you and your spouse are both serving in the military you need to inform a commanding officer as soon as you know you’ll need a custody agreement and you have 60 days from that time to submit your signed “Family Care Plan”. If one of you is a reserve member, the time increases to 90 days.

Getting Started

We can help you complete a custody agreement that meets both Texas state law and the requirements of the military. At the Rachel Hewett Firm, we help negotiations that protect your best interests to spend time with your children. Meet with a child custody attorney in Denton from our team and tell us about your situation for a free no-obligation first consultation. Schedule your visit by calling 972-426-2637 today.