Objective & Effective Paternity Assistance in Frisco
Establishing the legal paternity of a child offers many benefits. In addition to providing the child with information regarding their biological father, the establishment of paternity opens the doors for either parent to pursue specific legal actions.
If you are interested in establishing the legal paternity of your child, I can help. I’m family law attorney Megan Rachel. For the last three decades, I have guided mothers and fathers in the Collin County area through the process of establishing paternity, in even the most challenging and emotionally heated situations.
Establishing Paternity in Texas
The legal establishment of paternity often requires more than simply adding a father’s name to the child’s birth certificate. The state of Texas offers two legal avenues for the establishment of paternity, including:
- Voluntary paternity: Fathers who wish to voluntarily accept paternity of the child may do so by signing an Acknowledgement of Paternity. This form is often signed at the hospital when the child is born but can be done at any point in the child’s life.
- Involuntary paternity: If either parent disputes the paternity of a child, the court may order a DNA test to be conducted. To begin the process, the mother or father must file a Petition to Adjudicate Parentage. This triggers notice to the other parent. If the disputing parent fails to appear in court or refuses the DNA swab, the court may enter a default order, which legally establishes paternity. If a parent submits to DNA testing and is proven to be the biological parent, paternity is established.
I offer the guidance you need to understand each process and the various steps you must complete to establish paternity of your child.
Why Is Paternity Important?
Establishing paternity is a crucial step in the relationship between the child and their parents. And Texas law requires the legal determination of paternity before either parent can:
- Petition for custody
- Petition for possession of and access to the child
- Pursue child support
- Qualify for certain public assistance programs
- Access the child’s medical, school or insurance records
- Provide insurance coverage for the child
Without legal paternity in place, parents may face significant roadblocks when attempting to provide a safe, healthy and happy lifestyle for their children.
Call Today to Begin the Process of Establishing Paternity of Your Child
I offer the support and guidance you need to limit the confusion and frustration you may feel when establishing legal paternity of your child. Contact me online or call 972-426-2637 to schedule a consultation today.