Overview of Frisco Child Custody and Visitation Rights

When you and your partner have children and want to divorce, you must work out a parenting plan. The plan should outline who has custody or visitation rights for the children and when. If you cannot agree on a custody arrangement, either of you can petition the court for custody. The petition can be done through the court overseeing your divorce with the help of a Frisco child custody attorney. If you are unmarried, the matter can be handled by the juvenile or family court in Frisco.

Types of Custody and Visitation

After you have petitioned for custody, the court can either award a joint or sole custody. In a joint custody, both parents will be given the primary care and decision-making rights on the children. On the other hand, a sole custody gives these rights to one parent.

In Frisco, two types of custody can be awarded: legal and physical. Legal custody involves the decision-making rights, such as regarding the child’s welfare, health and education. Physical custody involves caring for the child, including where he/she will be living and daily supervision.

If you are awarded primary custody, your partner is likely to be given visitation rights so that he or she will still get time with the child. In most cases, your attorney will advise you to petition for a joint custody, unless doing so will be putting the child at risk.

Custody Arrangement and Exchanges

There are a number of arrangements that your attorney can propose for both visitation and custody rights. For example, either of you can have the children at alternating weeks, holidays, summers, weekends, and even years.

You can also arrange for a visitation or custody exchange with your partner. The exchange usually involves the place, time and manner in which the two of you will be giving your children over to each other. You can contact a Frisco child custody attorney at The Rachel Firm to help you navigate the confusing world of child custody and visitation rights.